Monday, January 12, 2009

Songs for Eating and Drinking

This past weekend we were invited to a exclusive soiree at Chase Jarvis studios (http://www.chasejarvis.com). Its a project that is a collaboration between renowned director/photographer Chase Jarvis and chef/table guru Michale Hebb
(http://www.onepot.org) have started entitled "Songs for Eating and Drinking" (http://www.songsforeatinganddrinking.com).

Here is the explanation taking straight from their website:

"Get a bunch of insanely talented musicians together, and let them share songs, food, and drink. Many a musical career starts with small audiences, impromptu performances, late night mutterings; and then the lucky end up on large stages and tucked deep inside recording studios - often vastly disconnected from those that love their music. Our friends in the music industry have bellyached that industry folk hardly ever share food in a meaningful way – or rarely just get together and f’in chill. So we decided to create these evenings for our musician friends built around long tables, remarkable locations, sturdy drinking food, and bottles of wine and whiskey – with the hope that throughout each night songs would rise up from the table. Many a musical career starts with small audiences, impromptu performances, and late night mutterings."

I am going to share about my experience because I want to help spread the word virally about this event and also because it left such a strong impression on me.

First the food. Michale Hebb - who is featured in this months GQ - is known for his "ONE POT" cooking. Preparing to write this today, I decided to Google Mr. Hebb - to get some history on him. I am impressed by his outrageous and rebellious past in the food press and hope to jump aboard his new underground Seattle train of fans.(curious? Google him...)

SO enough of his story and more about his FOOD - which is what its all about for me. The night was fashioned VERY laid back and a bit jumbled, as dozens of the cities most influential hiphop artists gathered in this modern studio. Peppered in were various radio DJs, newspaper writers and industry heads. It was truly a very exclusive group of people that I felt jazzed to be a part of.

People arrived over an hour - immediately greeted by the chef and the photographer, the lovely assistant Kate and various staff bustling around with drinks, ice and some with hand held video cameras, interviewing us as we arrived. A punch was on the table, and because of the minor attending with us we were quickly told it had alcohol in it. I was told by several people how amazing it was, a soft pink color, topped with lemons and oranges. However being that my husband and I don't drink - we went for one of the large buckets filled to the brim with sodas and low sugar fruit drinks.

Michael Hebb is also well known for his "tabling" therefore I need to comment on that. It was beautiful. As the lights were lowered, I noticed the huge long tables, shaped in a 3/4 box - with a microphone and floor candles at the opening - large candelabras and tea light candles along with place settings on the Foil (yes I said FOIL) lined tables. In the dark candle light, the foil sparkled so perfectly that I giggled at the simple beauty of it and that I had never thought of it!



After a few artists shared songs, the salad was served. Huge platters were passed around, carrying a beautiful pile of multi-colored soft greens. Because of the lack of light, it was hard for me to get a proper photo and also to tell immediately what was ON the salad.



When I tasted it - i was so pleasantly surprised. It was a beautiful mixture of butter lettuces, and different red and purple varieties, mixed with tangerine and grapefruit pieces, goat cheese and crisp hazelnuts. The salad had a sweet balsamic type dressing with just enough salt and pepper to make it mouth watering. (*Note: I am not CERTAIN on the exact ingredients, just guessing as far as my taste buds could tell)

There were quite a few more performances before dinner was served. An announcement was made right before they served the "one pot" meal. Michael said he would first come around with the "pasta" which was small round balls - similar to Acini di pepe pasta but not quite the same shape. He strictly instructed us to not touch the pasta, until he came back around with the main stew/sauce to put on top. The pasta (just from the smell since I couldn't touch) had garlic, tomato and various herbs in it. It was pretty tempting not being able to touch it.

Then the stew came. It was a Moroccan meat sauce/stew that went on top of the pasta. It was rich with lamb, beef, large mushrooms (shiitake?) and soft yummy vegis in a thick rich beef sauce. I tasted a hint of wine, some sweet spices (Cinnamon, Allspice and Cloves) and some lovely other spices (cayenne, ginger, cumin, coriander). Truly a yummy rich "one pot" meal.





I was so honored to be part of such an underground and exclusive event and to be fed by such a well known chef. I truly hope to work with him in the future on another One Pot event.

Rating: **** 1/2 * amazing food - only thing missing for me was dessert

Here is a slide show of the photos I took that evening. My photos are in no way as good as Chase's - but I had fun playing with the camera in such a beautiful room.




Please check their official website for the photos and video they took all evening - which should be up within the week.

1 comment:

  1. This blog is amazing!!!! i love all kind of songs because I think the music is like energize that is transforming our lives. I usually like to go to the places whose people are happy and enjoy their music, I thin you must to visit
    costa rica investment opportunities
    Is a fantastic experience.

    ReplyDelete